Responsible Research Academic Summit 2021
Duration : 3 hours
Overall Summit Objective
To share experiences and explore new ideas to deepen and broaden the transformation toward responsible research in business schools by deans, editors, association leaders, senior and young scholars.
Specific Summit Goals
- To share significant actions by deans, scholarly association leaders, and scholars in various disciplines in pursuing, encouraging, and supporting research to enable better business and management practices for a better world.
- To discuss and share experiences or best practices in responsible research observed or experienced by summit participants.
- To choose one actionable idea by participants in their role as leaders in schools or associations, and as senior or aspiring young scholars to support, encourage, facilitate, or engage in responsible research.
Welcome and Introduction (5 min)
Mary Jo Bitner, Professor and Edward M. Carson Chair in Service Marketing Emerita, Arizona State University, USA
Panel 1. How deans encourage faculty research with societal impact (35 minutes)
Moderator: Mary Jo Bitner
Co-moderator: Ruth Bolton, Professor of Marketing Arizona State University, USA
- Jonathan Levin, Philip H. Knight Professor and Dean, Stanford Graduate School of Business, USA
- Ansgar Richter, Professor of Strategy and Dean, Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University, The Netherlands
- Zhixue Zhang, Incoming President (2021) of the International Association for Chinese Management Research; Professor of Management, Peking University, China
Panel 2. How association leaders advance responsible research (35 minutes)
Moderator: Serguei Netessine, Professor of Operations Management, The Wharton School, USA
Co-moderator: Michael Haenlein, Professor of Marketing, ESCP Europe, France
- Amy Hillman, Incoming president (2023) of the Academy of Management; Rusty Lyon Chair of Strategy, Arizona State University, USA
- Africa Ariño, President of Strategic Management Society; Professor of Strategy, IESE Business School, Spain
- Katherine Lemon, Chair of Board, American Marketing Association; Accenture Professor of Marketing, Boston College, USA
Breakout Group Discussion 1 (30 minutes)
Moderators: Serguei Netessine and Michael Haenlein
“What prior experiences or efforts have you either participated in or have taken that advance responsible research in your community (journals, schools – as deans, P&T committees, doctoral committees, association leaders, publishers, students)?”
Record the key ideas or best practices on an electronic board.
Moderator will invite a few groups to share (5 minutes)
Break (5 minutes)
Panel 3. How scholars pursue societally meaningful research (35 minutes)
Moderator: Tima Bansal, Professor of Management, The Ivey School of Business, Canada
Co-moderator: Mark Smith, Director, Stellenbosch University Business School, South Africa and Professor, Grenoble Ecole de Management, France
- Ivona Hideg, Associate Professor and Ann Brown Chair in Organization Studies, York University, Canada
- Andrew Karolyi, Harold Bierman, Jr. Distinguished Professor of Finance, Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, USA
- Jeff Hales, Professor of Accounting, University of Texas, Austin, USA
Breakout Group Discussion 2 (20 minutes)
Moderators: Tima Bansal and Mark Smith
“Based on what you have heard today, choose one action that you can or want to pursue, encourage, facilitate, or support responsible research in your sphere of influence (e.g., school leadership, journal editing, doctoral education, research) over the next year or two.”
Record the actions on the e-board. Sharing (5 minutes)
The two complete lists will be shared with all participants after the Summit as “take-aways” to advance or pursue responsible research.
Conclusion (5 minutes)
Mary Jo Bitner